• 4 warm soft-boiled eggs, halved
• 100ml olive oil
• 1 large courgette, sliced at angle
• 1 medium aubergine, sliced at an angle and each half halved
• 12 small shallots, peeled
• 8 baby fennel, trimmed
• 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into large strips
• 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into large strips
• 1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled
• 100ml sun dried tomato juice (recipe below)
• salt and black pepper
• good handful of black olives
• 20 basil leaves
• handful of mixed herbs, to serve
Sun Dried Tomato Juice
• 200g shallots
• 1 ½ heads of garlic
• 20 ripe tomatoes
• 2 red peppers
• 115g sun dried tomatoes
• 50g basil leaves
• 25g thyme leaves
• 25g tarragon
• 50g caster sugar
• 100ml white wine vinegar
• 500ml water
To make the Sun dried tomato juice:
• Peel and slice the shallots and garlic, slice the fresh tomatoes and peppers and put all of these into a pan with the sun dried tomatoes, herbs, sugar, vinegar and water. Season, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
• Take from the heat, cover and leave in a warm place for 12 hours.
• Sieve into a clean bowl through muslin, bottle and refrigerate for 2-3 days.
• Prepare the pipérade vegetables, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the vegetables, garlic and sun dried tomato juice and season. Cover with a tight fitting lid and leave over a low heat until the vegetables are just soft to the touch.
• Remove the vegetables from the heat and add the olives and basil to warm through.
• Carefully arrange the vegetables on 4 plates with the soft-boiled eggs and serve garnished with fresh herbs.