• 1 aubergine
• freshly ground salt and pepper
• 1 sheet of ready made puff pastry
• olive oil
• 4 tbsp tapenade
• 250g mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
• mixed salad leaves and herbs
• red pepper reduction
For the tapenade dressing
• 1 tbsp pureed black olives
• 5 tbsp olive oil
• 6 basil leaves chopped
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• drop of truffle oil
1. Salt aubergine to draw out excess water. Preheat oven to 220C/Gas 7
2. Cut puff pastry into four rounds and pick all over with a fork.
3. Bake in oven for about 5 minutes until golden, put to one side.
4. Slice aubergine into rounds about 3mm thick. Season with pepper.
5. Heat some olive oil in a pan and pan fry the aubergine slices until lightly coloured and soft.
6. Spread tapenade over the pastry discs and lay slices of mozzarella on top. Overlap rounds of aubergine on top of the mozzarella.
7. Bake in oven until the mozzarella begins to melt.
8. Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together.
9. To serve place a tart in the centre of each plate. Dress the leaves and herbs lightly and place on top of tart. Drizzle around the red pepper reduction and tapenade dressing.