For the Tart
• 3 large Braebum or Pink Lady apples
• 300g puff pastry
• 50g unsalted butter
• 50g caster sugar
• 5 cardamom pods, crushed
For the Ice Cream
• 250ml double cream
• 250ml milk
• 10 cardamom pods, crushed
• 100g sugar
• 6 egg yolks
• Peel, cored and quarter the apples. Lay them out on a paper-lined tray to dry for an hour or two, uncovered. Not a problem if they turn brown, as they will be caramel coated.
• To make ice cream, place double cream, milk and cardamom in a pan and bring to boil, once simmered turn off and leave to infuse for 45 minutes.
• Whisk together sugar and yolks, add infused crème, pour into saucepan and stir over low heat to a crème anglaise consistency. Pass and leave to cool. Churn in ice cream machine till smooth.
• Roll out pastry to tart or template size. Place on tray and refrigerate while preparing the filling.
• Cut butter into thin slices and spread over the bottom of ovenproof dish/pan. Sprinkle over the sugar and then dot the cardamom pods around the pan. Arrange the apple quarters neatly around the pan. Place pan over medium heat until butter and sugar have dissolved and formed a light caramel, remove and let cool.
• Preheat oven to 200°C/ Gas mark 6. Drape the pastry over the apples and tuck edges down side of pan. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool.
• Turn out and portion as desired, serve with scoop of cardamom ice cream.