• 150ml cream
• 300ml milk
• 75g sugar
• 3 egg yolks
• 3 tablespoons liquid glucose
• 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
• a small Christmas pudding
• In a bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale.
• Put the milk, cream, glucose and vanilla pod in a pan and bring to the boil.
• Pour slowly on to the egg and sugar mixture whisking all the time until smooth.
• Return the mixture to a clean pan and heat gently stirring constantly until the mixture thickens to a custard.
• Remove from the heat and leave to cool removing the vanilla pod.
• Caramelise the Christmas pudding and blitz in a blender to crumb.
• Add to the cooled custard and churn in an ice cream maker.